Welcome to The Learning Pit Academy
An Introduction to the Learning Pit
The Learning Pit…
- Reassures students on their learning journey
- Offers encouragement during times of struggle
- Explains how frustration and confusion are normal aspects of learning
- Illustrates the steps that can be taken to move from surface-level knowledge to deep understanding
The Learning Pit: Next Steps
In this video, James Nottingham – creator of the Learning Pit – describes how to:
- Introduce the Learning Pit to your students
- Use the four stages of the Learning Challenge to guide your students through the Learning Pit
- Access resources including books, posters, graphics, and lesson plans
Learning Pit: Resources
The Learning Pit
The best introduction to the Learning Pit
- Japanese (soon)
- Swedish (soon)
The Learning Challenge
In-depth guide to using the Learning Pit
Wipe clean posters in various sizes
to record their
questions & ideas
Free to download
Characters, signs & backgrounds
for you to download
and use to make
your own Learning
100+ lesson plans for K-12 teachers
resources to guide
students through the
Learning Pit: Academy
If you are ready to take a really deep dive into the Learning Pit, then this academy is for you!
- Become an expert about the Learning Pit – earning accreditation to lead to training across your school
- Focus on Impact – boosting (and collecting evidence of) student growth
- Join James Nottingham as he shares the most up-to-date and impressive research on using the Learning Pit to improve student outcomes
- Access the most comprehensive and up-to-date material, including videos, chapter summaries and recommendations for next steps
- Make connections with James Nottingham, his Challenging Learning team, and participants around the world
Ways to Access the Learning Pit Academy
INDIVIDUALS – designed with maximum flexibility in mind. Follow each module in your own time, at your own pace, and on any web enabled device. Post your reflections in the Learning Pit Forum and engage with other participants from around the world. Sign up now.
TEAMS – perfect for teams, PLCs, and networks. Improve learner outcomes by collaborating locally as well as globally. Collect evidence of impact so that together, you are in the best position to design the most appropriate steps for wider implementation. Sign up now.
ORGANISATIONS – change professional practice and create sustainable change across your whole school, group of schools, district or municipality. Build teacher expertise; develop system wide leadership capacity; and deepen learning outcomes for all students. Contact us.
COACHING – increase engagement and individual growth by adding professional coaching to your Learning Pit study. Our 25 full-time staff in six countries offer coaching in English, Norwegian, Spanish, and Swedish. We also cover most time zones. Together, we challenge, encourage and guide you to establish and take action towards achieving your goals. This option is available for individuals, teams, and full organizations.
INDIVIDUALS & TEAMS
Pick one of the following options on the Build Your Own Package page, pay online and make a start as soon as you like:
- Individual with coaching
- Team with coaching
Email or call one of our Challenging Learning colleagues (see below for regional contacts) to design a process that will match your purpose and content perfectly.
For any questions, you are warmly welcome to contact us at any time.
In the Words of Three Wise Professors...
”The Challenging Learning team have the skills of explaining the complex in a way which is accessible and inviting. The examples of how it could be and the insights into what success looks like will leave staff waiting to do things differently without a bag of guilt to weight them down.Professor Mick WatersFormer Director of the UK Government’s Qualifications and Curriculum Authority
”Challenging Learning is a critical element of creating Visible Learners. Their team helps teachers hone the necessary pedagogical skills of dialogue, feedback, questioning and mindset. There’s no better resource to encourage all learners to know and maximise their impact!Professor John HattieAuthor of Visible Learning, Melbourne University, Australia
”The Challenging Learning team will help you navigate the world of educational research and focus on actions that can have high impact. I enjoy the clarity and good humour they bring to their work--as will you. I highly recommend them.Professor Carol DweckAuthor of Mindset, Stanford University, USA